Top politician’s son detained over murder

The son of a senior Indian politician is accused of slaying a young employee at a resort hotel he owns for refusing to provide sexual services

Indian police on Saturday recovered the body of Ankita Bhandari, a 19-year-old receptionist who went missing earlier this week. The murder has sparked massive public outrage and triggered a political meltdown, after Pulkit Arya, the son of a leading politician with the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), was named the main suspect.

Bhandari, who worked at the Vanatara Resort owned by Arya in the city of Rishikesh, went missing earlier this week after a dispute with the management of the establishment. Local police confirmed the victim was being coerced by Arya and two other suspects into providing “special services” to the resort’s guests. According to local media reports, Bhandari had complained to her friend that the management was demanding that she have sex with the resort’s guests and said she was in “trouble” shortly before her disappearance. “They are trying to turn me into a prostitute,” one of her WhatsApp messages read.

As the news of the murder spread, the resort was attacked by angry locals, who pelted the building with various projectiles, breaking its windows. The crowd also tried to lynch Arya, as well as the manager and assistant manager of the resort as police took them into custody on Friday. Footage circulating online shows the partially undressed, visibly battered suspects inside a police vehicle.

Two accused in Ankita Kandari murder case were thrased by the locals in Yamkeshwar in #Uttarakhand Ankita (19) was missing from a resort since Sept 18. One of the accused Pulkit Arya is the son of #BJP leader pic.twitter.com/2w4jJVfAuU

— Anupam Trivedi (@AnupamTrivedi26) September 23, 2022

The resort ended up being partially demolished overnight on order of the local authorities, as it turned out to have been built illegally. The demolition was ordered by the chief minister of the state of Uttarakhand, Pushkar Singh Dhami, who strongly condemned the murder.

“It is unfortunate. Police are working, they have done their work for making the arrests. Strictest punishment would be given for such heinous crimes, whoever be the criminal,” he said.

Illegal construction of resort owned by Pulkit Arya, son of BJP leader who is accused of Ankita Bhandari murd€r case was bulldozed by Uttarakhand BJP Government.

BJP proved once again, all criminals will be treated equally.pic.twitter.com/X5yeoQNa1L

— Snehal 🇮🇳™ (@Saffron_Sn) September 23, 2022

The surviving part of the resort ended up torched by locals on Saturday after Bhandari’s body was recovered from a local canal.

WATCH | #AnkitaBhandari murder case: Locals set Vanatara resort in Rishikesh, Uttarakhand on fire.

The resort is owned by BJP leader Vinod Arya’s son Pulkit Arya. Three accused, including Pulkit, have been arrested in connection with the murder case. pic.twitter.com/7Zx0T6HJIB

— ANI UP/Uttarakhand (@ANINewsUP) September 24, 2022

Arya and two other suspects have already confessed to the murder, according to police. The resort owner said he had killed the receptionist by pushing her off a cliff into the canal following the dispute last Sunday night.

The BJP has tried to distance itself from the scandal, expelling both the main suspect’s father, party leader Vinod Arya, and his brother Ankit Arya, from the BJP’s ranks. After being ousted from the party, the politician, who had previously served as a state minister, expressed his support for the ongoing investigation.

“The district administration should investigate the matter and if we are wrong, action should be taken accordingly,” he stated.

Cannibal pleads guilty to eating Grindr date

The American admitted he killed and dismembered the victim, two years after initially pleading insanity

Michigan native Mark David Latunski has confessed to stabbing Kevin Bacon, a college student and hairdresser half his age whom he’d met on gay dating app Grindr, before removing and eating his testicles. He pleaded guilty in court on Thursday to charges of open murder and mutilation of a body two years after his lawyers initially sought an insanity plea.

A hearing next month will determine whether Latunski is convicted of first- or second-degree murder – both contained in the charge of open murder – or manslaughter. 

While the 52-year-old could face life in prison, Latunski’s attorneys seemed more concerned about the implications of their client’s change of plea than he did. Lawyer Mary Chartier, who had initially suggested the insanity defense, told the court that: “While this is not an outcome that [fellow defense attorney] Mr. Krause and I think is in Mr. Latunski’s best interest, we do have to follow Mr. Latunski’s wishes…consistently he’s been very clear, more than once, multiple times, on his choice and on his reasoning.” 

Read more

Accused gay cannibal pleads insanity to charges he killed & ate parts of Grindr date

Latunski and Bacon matched on Grindr and met at Latunski’s house for a date. The cannibal claimed Bacon told him he was suicidal, to which he responded he could help the younger man “disappear” and suggested using a knife. When Bacon supposedly said “do it,” Latunski stabbed him in the back of the neck and then slit his throat – supposedly to ensure he didn’t suffer – before hanging him upside down and removing his testicles with the knife.

Latunski said he normally eats Rocky Mountain oysters and said instead of eating the ones in his freezer, he decided to use the testicles of Kevin Bacon,” Michigan State Police Detective Sargent James Moore testified. 

Bacon’s body was discovered in the basement of Latunski’s home in Bennington Township just days after the pair’s fateful Christmas Eve rendezvous.

Police have been looking into the possibility Latunski was involved in other crimes. While they spoke with two other men he picked up on Grindr who allegedly fled his home in late 2019, no charges have been filed; one man even returned to Latunski’s home later that night.

Ford forced to park thousands of unfinished vehicles – media

Parts shortages have reportedly prompted the company to leave trucks at a former NASCAR track

Ford Motor Co. continues to be plagued by parts shortages, so much so that America’s largest automaker has reportedly resorted to parking thousands of unfinished pickups at an idle former NASCAR track in Kentucky.

Footage posted online purports to show massive parking lots at the Kentucky Speedway in Sparta, Kentucky, jammed with row after row of new Ford trucks. Automotive media outlets, such as The Drive, reported this week that the stashed vehicles are partially finished trucks that can’t be completed or shipped to customers because certain parts aren’t available.

Ford apparently began hauling trucks to the speedway in late August. The Drive posted satellite photos of the facility from August 24 and September 19, showing formerly empty parking lots filled with vehicles.

Major automakers have struggled since last year with protracted shortages of computer chips. Ford’s parts shortfalls are widespread, ranging from windshield wiper motors to infotainment systems. In fact, the Wall Street Journal reported on Friday that the company even has shortages of its iconic “blue oval” badges and the nameplates that identify vehicle models.

Ford announced earlier this week that it had as many as 45,000 unfinished vehicles in inventory that wouldn’t be completed by the end of September because of parts shortages. The company added that its third-quarter costs would be about $1 billion higher than planned because of rampant inflation.

Read more

Global chip shortage expected to worsen

Ford’s production was similarly backed up at one point last year, when it stored some vehicles at the Kentucky Speedway. The Drive reported that the company has turned to other overflow sites for its unfinished vehicles, including a shuttered ammunition plant in Charlestown, Indiana, about 25 miles from Ford’s plant in Louisville, Kentucky. The Louisville plant produces such models as the Ford Escape and the Lincoln Corsair sport-utility vehicles.

The speedway situation reflects not only continuing breakdowns in US supply chains, but also the decline of NASCAR. The 87,000-seat track opened in June 2000, near the height of NASCAR’s popularity, but it was taken off the racing circuit in 2020. Once touted as America’s fastest-growing pro sport, NASCAR has suffered sharp declines in attendance and television ratings since 2006.

Customers have had to bide their time on long waiting lists for some Ford models, such as the F-150 Lightning electric pickup. Last month, Ford announced price increases of as much as $8,500 for the Lightning.

Police should focus on fighting crime, not diversity – UK government

The home secretary called on police chiefs to check their priorities

New British Home Secretary Suella Braverman on Friday criticized the police for spending too much time on “diversity and inclusion,” and urged officers to focus instead on tackling crime.

In an open letter to the police chiefs of England and Wales, the minister claimed that “there is a perception that the police have had to spend too much time on symbolic gestures, than actually fighting criminals.”

“This must change. Initiatives on diversity and inclusion should not take precedence over common sense policing,” Braverman said.

The home secretary stressed that she, as well as Prime Minister Liz Truss, expects law enforcement “to cut homicide, serious violence and neighbourhood crime by 20%.” Braverman also called for “a renewed focus” on addressing drugs, vehicle theft, vandalism, and graffiti.

Read more

Met Police told to tackle officers’ ‘disgraceful’ behavior

“I am deeply concerned by the current levels of cases being investigated and then being converted into charges and subsequent prosecutions,” Braverman noted.

Meanwhile, she pledged to support the police by delivering an additional 20,000 officers and “investing hundreds of millions in 2022-23.”

The minister’s letter echoed the conclusions of a survey conducted by the organization More in Common last month, which revealed that “the public were almost twice as likely to agree than disagree with the statement that ‘the police are more interested in being woke than solving crimes’.”

The authors of the report referred to a controversial video tweeted by Lincolnshire police in August showing officers performing the Macarena at a LGBTQ+ Pride event.

And who can’t dance to the Macarena! @lincspolice All fun down at Lincoln Pride! 😃🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 pic.twitter.com/JC6oXIBHlY

— Lincoln Police (@LincolnPoliceUK) August 20, 2022

In May, Superintendent James Sutherland came under fire on social media for wearing a rainbow helmet in support of an anti-homophobia campaign in Cambridge.

Kneeling by police officers in support of the Black Lives Matter movement has also been a subject of controversy.

Meanwhile, recent years have seen the police forces, and Scotland Yard in particular, criticized for their handling of several high-profile criminal investigations, as well as for the increase in street attacks and knife crime. The problems within the police ranks were highlighted in a bombshell February report by the Independent Office for Police Conduct. The watchdog told Scotland Yard to take immediate steps to eradicate racism and bullying in the ranks and to train officers on the appropriate use of social media.

Russia Storming Bakhmut Suburb Zaitsevo, Mobilisation Continues; WP Confirms US Giving Moscow Nuclear Warnings

Russia Storming Bakhmut Suburb Zaitsevo, Mobilisation Continues; WP Confirms US Giving Moscow Nuclear Warnings
News Topic 622

Address by the President of the Russian Federation

President of Russia Vladimir Putin: Friends, The subject of this address is the situation in Donbass and the course of the special military operation to liberate it from the neo-Nazi regime, which seized power in Ukraine in 2014 as the result of an armed state coup.

archive.ph

No Description