North Korea launches missiles after Quad declaration

Ballistic missile tests follow condemnation of Pyongyang by US and its allies at Tokyo meeting

Several unidentified ballistic missiles took off from North Korea, the South Korean military reported on Wednesday morning local time. The launch came after the US, Japan, India and Australia – the so-called “Quad” – condemned the North Korean missile program and pledged themselves to “a free and open Indo-Pacific that is inclusive and resilient.”

The first missile was fired towards the waters near North Korea’s eastern coast, South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement around 6 am local time, offering no additional details. The Japanese coast guard confirmed there had been a launch of an unidentified type of missile.

Within an hour, however, Seoul was reporting “additional launches of unknown ballistic missiles in north and east directions,” according to the Yonhap news agency.

Pyongyang’s 17th missile test so far this year comes as US President Joe Biden left Japan to return to Washington, after a five-day trip to Asia. Before departing, Biden and his “Quad” colleagues issued a joint statement about their role in the future of the region dubbed by the US the “Indo-Pacific.”

“We reaffirm our commitment to the complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, consistent with United Nations Security Council Resolutions,” said the statement signed by Biden, Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida, Indian PM Narendra Modi, and Australia’s newly elected PM Anthony Albanese.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.